Welcome to the Red Lion at Cotherstone. CAMRA Good Beer Guide Entry.

LocAles, craft ciders, open fires, beer garden, darts & dominoes.

We sell craft ciders, real ales, cask beers & bitters from local craft micro brewers. Always stocking, Yorkshire Dales Brewing Company - Butter Tubs, Golden Best Bitter & Aysgarth Falls, Blonde Ale.

We’re situated 4 miles from Barnard Castle and 6 miles from Middleton-in-Teesdale in the historic North Riding of Yorkshire.

Please browse through our pages and discover some of the charms of this cracking little pub set in the heart of Teesdale.

A turminus date?

 

Revised opening date, Monday 19th July 2021.
(Once again, subject to confirmation of national Covid restrictions lifted.)

As most will be aware, easing of full Covid restrictions in England have been put on hold for a further four weeks. Therefore, sadly, I must announce the Red Lion will not be opening until, at least, Monday 19th July 2021.

Back in April I took the decision not to reopen until all social distancing restrictions were lifted; it was my view that the pub was a place of conviviality, interaction and craic. The experience of a traditional public house can’t be boxed into social bubbles and table service, for many small pubs across the country it’s unviable too. I hope this is the last push back required and once again, normal service may resume.  

I’ve been keeping productive during the closure, some essential maintenance behind the scenes, above your head and beneath your feet too! The end bar/snug has had a makeover, sporting a new log burner, lick of paint and even a new carpet! The carpet tiles that were laid in 1966 have served me well. Sadly, I must add, this room will no longer be open to dogs, muddy footwear and generally anyone I deem to be too messy or clumsy! From henceforth it shall be known as ‘Rupert’s lounge bar,’ lol.
Behind the bar you’ll find a new floor, fixtures and fittings; though I’ve kept the garish strip light so you may see me in my full glory! Three new shiny Angram hand pulls will straddle the bar top, ready to serve local handcrafted ale from Yorkshire Dales Brewery. After the trial success of Birra Moretti last summer, I have decided to add it to the bar as my permanent draft premium lager. I’ll be continuing to stock, ‘from the tap’ ciders including the excellent, locally produced, ‘Kemp’s Cider.’ Local draught beers, cider and continental lager, happy days!       

I hope I’ve given you just enough insight to whet your appetite for the eagerly awaited long summer nights and cozy winter’s evenings back in the Red.

See you all soon.

Richard