Welcome to the Red Lion at Cotherstone. CAMRA Good Beer Guide Entry.

LocAles, craft ciders, open fires, beer garden, darts & dominoes.

We sell craft ciders, real ales, cask beers & bitters from local craft micro brewers. Always stocking, Yorkshire Dales Brewing Company - Butter Tubs, Golden Best Bitter & Aysgarth Falls, Blonde Ale.

We’re situated 4 miles from Barnard Castle and 6 miles from Middleton-in-Teesdale in the historic North Riding of Yorkshire.

Please browse through our pages and discover some of the charms of this cracking little pub set in the heart of Teesdale.

Happy New Year!


I hope everyone had a wonderful, relaxing Christmas & New Year and managed to consume plenty of fantastic local ales. I must have been a good boy last year as Santa left me an electric router under my tree. I think he’s perhaps dropping a few hints that I need to crack on and repair some more sash windows this year! The Christmas trees and decorations have now been packed away for another year and some resolutions have been made to be broken. There was no river Tees jumping for me this New Years Day, now at 34 I think that chapter of my life is over. Hurrah to that! 
We’ve had a very busy festive period for functions and parties, my mam and I have fed 544 people since the beginning of November. Not bad for a pub that doesn’t serve food! Remember bookings are available throughout the year for parties of 12 or more people. Menus are available upon request.
Looking forward we’ve got a couple of pub knockouts to enjoy. There’s the annual Jim Forster Memorial domino knockout on Saturday 21st February. Then we have the annual Ronnie Hugill darts knockout on Friday 3rd April (Good Friday.) Pie and peas served at both, yum!

Hope you have a happy and healthy 2015 and I look forward to seeing you in the Red Lion soon.

Best wishes

Richard